From:
Sunshine49 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2007 22:21:42 -0500
I believe the old tradition of always leaving a bit of food on your
plate came about because of "the war". People were so hungry during
and right after, it was a sign of recovery that when you were dining
at someone's house, you were no longer so famished you'd clean every
last speck of food up. Even if you were that famished, you couldn't
let the neighbors know it. There is a letter from my gr-gr-gr uncle
in Rich'mun in the latter years of the war, telling how he was trying
to sell his gold pocket watch to be able to buy food for his family,
but there were no takers, the market was glutted with gold pocket
watches (he was also wearing two pair of shoes at a time, so the
holes would not match up). Most southerners in general were never
wealthy people, and you add in the several wars fought here, esp. the
un-Civil War, the hunger was truly terrible. Even for the soldiers;
there are accounts of them eating corn dropped by the army's horses,
they were so hungry. My husband's gr-gr uncle from NC wrote of how he
and his Sergeant, stationed along the Rapidan River here in Orange
County, were boiling and eating weeds. Those who condemn the south
for the Union POWs going hungry need to keep in mind that down here,
everyone was going hungry, POWs, civilians, soldiers, you name it. So
I guess when southerners got food, they had learned, through bitter
trials, how to appreciate, savor and share it.

Nancy

-------
I was never lost, but I was bewildered once for three days.

--Daniel Boone