From:
Joe Chandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2007 13:57:45 -0800
I disagree somewhat.

"Indentured servant" in the 17th century meant just
that, but "servants" were not all indentured.

In fact, the general term "servant" probably was
broader in the 17th century than it is now and did, as
you suggest, include employee and other meanings
between employee and someone who was indentured. Nell
Marion Nugent discusses this issue in the Introduction
to the first volume of Cavaliers and Pioneers.

Given the general absence of such records, it is
usually impossible to tell the precise status of most
persons named as headrights in Virginia patents.

jc