From:
Hank Trent <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Hank Trent <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 2014 10:04:24 -0500
Here's a poster showing John J. Christian on his skates:
http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/john-j-christians-traveling-minstrel-show-poster

However, I don't believe the biographical information at that link is
correct. He seems to have no connection with Mrs. Jennie Kimball's valet,
who coincidentally had the same name, and if he claimed to be giving his
farewell performance in 1898, there are still notices for performances after
that.

The Dec. 2, 1899 Colored American (Washington DC) had an article datelined
Charlottesville, VA, which said in part:  "The famous Georgia Minstrels were
in town last Griday [sic Friday]. Mr. John Christian, of Staunton, Va., is
with this show this season as the champion roller skater. He was given quite
an ovation."

There was a black businessman in Staunton (confectioner, bartender) named
John J. Christian who had a son with the same name born about 1868,
according to the 1870 and 1880 censuses, so it's possible the son grew up to
be the skater.

The fact that the skater was a "Jr." is confirmed by the Richmond Planet of
March 8, 1890 which says "John J. Christian Jr. of Staunton gave a skating
exhibition at True Reformer's Hall Monday even- [sic] to a large an [sic]
appreciative audience. Mr. Christian has defeated a number of skaters and
bears the name of Champion Roller Skater."
http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn84025841/1890-03-08/ed-1/seq-1

Here's his wedding, in the Iowa State Bystander, April 21, 1905:
"Last Wednesday evening, April 12, at the beautiful home of Mr. and Mrs.
Ruben Gaines, of Buxton, Iowa, there occurred the marriage of Julia C.
Wilkes of Boston, Mass., to John J. Christian, the skater." The whole
wedding announcement is at
http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn83025186/1905-04-21/ed-1/seq-1/

That may help a bit with further research.

Hank Trent