Date:
Wed, 30 May 2007 18:54:32 -0400
Indeed.  And like so many buzz words, it means different things to different people.

In my experience, such as it is, PC is a club used by people of various different political ideologies to beat up on their opponents.  Its rare--again, in my experience--to see the term used by non-ideological people and for non-ideological purposes.  For that reason, I don't think it has a lot of analytical (as opposed to rhetorical) value.

PC is just a label.  Much better to talk about particular instances, as they crop up.  Like most labels used for ideological purposes, I find that it tells us much more about the person using it than it does about the particular phenomena it allegedly represents.

For saying this, of course, I will no doubt be accused of being "PC."

All best,
Kevin