From:
Tom Gilmore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Oct 2008 11:07:13 -0700
Thank you, Barbara,  for taking time to correct my error.  I have no excuse
other than being sloppy, as only recently I used a phone book from NYC dated
in the1880s to make a connection in a family I'm researching.

 What I was trying to point out is that too many times a list of names
without source information that can be evaluated is offered as a final
genealogy report, when at best, it's an outline that may or may not have
worth.

--Tom Gilmore

On Tue, Oct 14, 2008 at 9:12 PM, Barbara Vines Little, CG <
[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Actually a phone book is more useful as it can, like a tax list, help
> document the presence of an individual during a given time at a specific
> place.
>
> Barbara Vines Little, CG
> Dominion Research Services
> PO Box 1273
> Orange, VA 22960

> CG, Certified Genealogist, is a service mark of the Board for Certification
> of Genealogists, used under
> license by board certified genealogists after periodic evaluation, and the
> board name is registered in the
> US Patent & Trademark Office.
>

> Tom Gilmore wrote:
>
>>   If we are going to get into genealogy, fine, but please, let's not
>> mistake a list of names and dates for genealogy.   Knowledgeable
>> genealogists, like other trained researchers,  know that  It is their
>> responsibility to conduct suitable studies and* report them in sufficient
>> detail to permit evaluation and confirmation by others. *  Paul Drake
>> wrote
>> something like this: Genealogy without evidence is worthless."  . May I
>> add,
>> that a list of names and dates without citations is about as useful to a
>> genealogist as the telephone book.
>>
>> --Tom Gilmore
>>
>> On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 6:39 PM, John Philip Adams <[log in to unmask]
>> >wrote:
>>

>>> Nicholas Martiou's wife is Jane Berkeley is the daughter of Henry
>>> Berkeley,
>>> 12Th Baron Berkeley.
>>> So let's try this again. Washington is descendant of the Berkeley's of
>>> England. Maybe Ms. Pemberton should take a genealogy course before
>>> espousing
>>> the plebian qualities of George Washington.
>>> Let's do some research before we believe 'a book' regarding the FOUNDING
>>> FATHER OF OUR COUNTRY.
>>> John Philip Adams
>>> Texas

>>> 1619. In 1640, he was granted 1,300 acres (a fairly large tract in those