From:
Sunshine49 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Mar 2007 12:43:56 -0500
I had a small stone bear carving I found as a child, maybe 45 years
ago, and have cherished all my life. I've probably only let 10 or 12
people see it. I just didn't want silly people acting silly over it;
to me, it was a very special thing. Since I have cancer, and one
never knows what tomorrow might bring, I decided to return it to what
was hopefully its proper place, so I did quite a bit of research and
determined that it was from Monacan territory, and so should go back
to them. Imagine my pleasant surprise when I found out their tribal
center is on Bear Mountain! I took that as a sign, and drove over a
few years ago and met with a women there, to return it. We chatted, I
felt very comfortable with her, in fact, we seemed to share a lot of
perspectives, we discussed how profoundly an interaction with a wild
creature can be, and how annoying it is when a bunch of white Yahoos
[sorry] come barreling along and totally trash the moment, they just
don't get it  [and at the time I did not know of my own native
ancestry, it is just the way I have always been]. We both had stories
to tell in that regard. It's the first time I have felt that kind of
shared understanding with anyone. She gave me  tremendous hug [a bear
hug?] before I left, and was going to show the bear to the woman who
was head of their Bear Clan [they have 4 main clans]. When I first
handed her the box and she opened it, her face just lit up, I'll
never forget it. It was beautiful to see. So I know it has a good
home now. But she was talking about that, how the government will
want a cataloguing of everything they have there. Insulting, IMO.

If I hadn't found a good home for the little bear, I was going to
take it to some remote location and bury it, rather than let silly
people do silly things with it. Now the Monacans can do whatever they
want with it, it's theirs, I know they will respect it.

Nancy

-------
Believe those who seek the truth;
Doubt those who find it.