From:
Richard Labunski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Feb 2005 16:08:23 -0500
Dear List Members:

I read in the Chronicle of Higher Education recently that some researchers
use digital cameras to capture images that they use in place of photocopies
(when the material is too fragile) or for illustrations in their published
work.  (I know that copyright permission would need to be obtained for the
use of illustrations).

I would like to purchase a camera for this purpose and would be interested
to know:

1)  If you have a recommendation as to what type of digital camera would be
best suited to taking images of handwritten letters, old newspapers, and
other archival materials? (The camera would be on a tripod probably a foot
or so above the document, so it would have to be one that is effective for
close-up images).

(When it comes to illustrations, I need a camera that will take images that
can be saved in a TIFF format and can be used in a forthcoming book).

2)  And if the Library of Congress and other facilities permit researchers
to use a camera for items that they have not digitized themselves?

Thank you for responding to this.

Richard Labunski

Richard Labunski
School of Journalism and Telecommunications
University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40506-0042
Office:  (859) 257-5719
Home fax:  (859) 873-3557
Internship Web site:  http://JATinternships.uky.edu
Author of:  The Educated Student: Getting the Most Out of Your College
Years <www.marleyandbeck.com>