From:
"Dinan, John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2019 08:42:17 -0500
Someone assuming the office of governor mid-term could run for and serve
another full term as governor, despite the constitutional ban on a governor
serving consecutive terms.  The relevant language is found in art. V, sec.
1, and states that the governor "shall be ineligible to the same office for
the term next succeeding that for which he was elected, and to any other
office during his term of service."

https://law.lis.virginia.gov/constitution/article5/section1/

John Dinan
Wake Forest University