From:
Basil Forest <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Feb 2007 10:09:08 EST
I am aware of Theda Perdue's book Slavery and the Evolution of Cherokee
Society which documents the ownership of black slaves by the Cherokee.  The
Cherokee Phoenix carried ads for slave sales in the 19th century.  The  Cherokees
were also excellent trackers who were hired to catch Black runaways by  their
white owners.

I also understood that free blacks were allowed to own black slaves in  every
state except Delaware and Arkansas.  Am I misinformed?  See, Ira  Berlin,
Slaves Without Masters:  The Free Negro in the Antebellum  South.

The Choctaws reluctantly freed their slaves in  1866.