From:
"Lonny J. Watro" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 16:06:07 -0400
> Bumper sticker seen on a car from West Virginia
> the other day: "I'd rather be shooting Yankees."

Sad to say, some of my neighbors have no idea that most of West Virgina
supported the North. Except for border towns like Romney, WV, and
Martinsburg, WV, the rest of the state was true to the Union. Of course, we
won't consider the WV bush wackers, because they did not support either
side -- they were only for pilaging.

And, if you must know, my poor gggg grandpappy who died in Andersonville
prision, only appears to have joined the WV 10th in order to protect his
home from bushwackers. According to a letter from his commanding officer to
headquarters, the men were disgruntled that they had been sent to bordering
areas and away from their own homes, leaving their own lands unprotected.
Once again, more support for my theory that you will go with the flow until
it affects your own standard of living.

Another intesting fact... A doctor in Keyser, WV, kept a diary during the
Civil War, and wrote that some of the Union soldiers in the area desserted
and joined the CS Army when they heard that Lincoln had emmancipated the
slaves.

Lonny J. Watro
Short Gap, West Virginia