From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Sep 2007 08:53:13 -0400
The Cabell family continues to lurch into technology in an effort to digitally preserve our heritage.  (Shades of BGEN Jack D. Ripper in that classic 1964 movie, Dr. Strangelove, "preserving our precious bodily fluids".)

I have two questions which are probably addressed every day by half the folks on VA-HIST.

#1 - PDF.  The more I learned about this, the more I greeted that as the be-all-and-end-all for producing portable files which can be searched and used by researchers.  But now I understand that it may not/does not do a good job with photos, or other high-resolution images, and we best stick to .JPG or .TIFF files.

#2 - Viewing an entire page.  Is there any display within the price range of ordinary mortals (under $350) which does a good job of showing a complete 8/5 x 11 page readable?  Word processors of the early 1980's turned display tubes on their side to produce such.   25 years later, there must be something out there.

Thanks for any input.

Randy Cabell