From:
Craig Kilby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Jun 2013 22:15:43 -0400
As was previously noted, Virginia is not "alone" in the Independent City world. St. Louis, Missouri being a notable example. In that very contentious case, known as "The Great Divorce" contrived by two fraud-ridden elections to separate themselves from St. Louis County, of which they had formerly been the county seat. They "won" in 1871. These far-sighted fathers hemmed themselves into permanent boundaries as a result.

But I digress, slightly. My question is this: are wills, deeds, marriages license and other "county" records within Virginia's Independent Cities a separate collection from the the county records, or did such documents remain to be filed at the county court, or some combination of both? (I know in the case of Richmond City that is the case, but I am not sure about some of the smaller cities.)

Craig Kilby