From:
"Johnson, Kirk N." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Dec 2012 09:11:41 -0500
I hope this doesn't sound "snarky", but I'm not aware that the Chinese Empire or any of the Muslim kingdoms of the late 18th century had a founding document which contained the phrase "All Men are Created Equal."

Jefferson needs to be judged by the context in which he lived, thought, worked, and wrote. And that context was as the author of the Declaration of Independence, a product of the Enlightenment, and one of the Founders of the American Republic. And it's not as if there wasn't a vigorous discussion of whether or not the ideals of the Revolution applied to African Americans or not, and it's not as if people at the time weren't troubled by the contradictions between the ideals of the Revolution and the reality of chattel slavery.

By giving Jefferson a pass because slavery survived for several more decades ignores the reality that in the immediate aftermath of the Revolution there was genuine debate over the morality of the institution--debate triggered in no small part by Jefferson's own rhetoric.

Kirk Johnson
Serials Manager

Prince William Public Library System
13083 Chinn Park Drive