From:
Eric Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 2006 09:42:34 -0500
I haven't yet seen it, but from what I gather it's more of a lyrical,
poetical interpretation of the Smith/Pocahontas story and the founding of
Jamestown than it is intended to be hard historical truth.

I find myself wondering if the same folks that are upset at Malick's "The
New World" hold Longfellow's poem "Paul Revere's Ride" or Benjamin West's
painting "The Death of Lord Nelson" in the same disregard for their
historical inaccuracies.

It's interesting to me that film, for whatever reason, seems to evoke more
distress or contempt among historians than other artistic media (poetry,
painting, even fiction) when it comes to portraying historical subject
matter--anybody have a sense for why this may be?

Cheers,

--Eric

Eric D. M. Johnson
Proprietor
The Village Factsmith Historical Research & Consulting
http://www.factsmith.com/