From:
"Lonny J. Watro" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2007 14:05:12 -0400
Hey I just heard a rumor that the State of Virginia has the Roster of Michael Cresap's Rifles. I've been looking in Maryland for it and now someone told me it's in the State of Virginia? Does anyone know where it might be? Cresap was initially commissioned by Frederick County, Virginia, I believe. However, the Rifles were supposedly formed on April 16, 1774. They first participated in Cresap's War or Dunmore's War and then they marched to Boston. There is a descrepancy about the roster of Dunmore's War and the roster of those who marched to Boston. Supposedly, Michael came over to Hampshire County, VA (now WV) and mustered in men from that county to march to Boston. It is all very confusing. But it is very understandable as this was very wild country back then, and still is in some places.

If there is any grad student out there looking for a project that is ripe for the picking this area of Virginia is for you (although is now West Virginia, but I guess since it was Virginia then, would it still count for credit? You'll have to ask your profs that one). There is really sketching research done here and many things are still undiscovered. It's still a historian's gold mine out here. Very, very untouched - and undocumented (haha). But, maybe not, you might just have to dig a little harder and something might turn up.

Sorry, I got off on a tangent (a mathematical flaw of mine). Back to Cresap... so what do you know? I'm so excited... Can you tell me anything?

Lonny J. Watro
Short Gap,
Mineral County, WV (previously Hampshire Co, VA)