From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2013 15:52:18 -0500
The problem with interpreting the past is that without literally a second by second description, multiple meanings can be had, resulting in multiple possible and chaotic interpretation(s). If a little guy comes prepared to what he's fairly sure will be his own clobbering, and he's living way nearer to the code duello than we are, does that mean he should avoid the big guy forever, or face it down, tell the oaf that he's going to have a severe problem if he continues, the big oaf continues and the result gunfire and results in a relative slap on the wrist. If he can't avoid the big guy without leaving school, what then? That's one interp. Even reading the court transcription, such as they were, one is not really any better off towards getting a good read on the situation.

A nasty bully who will not go away sometimes has to be pounded into the ground and sometimes more than once before they wake up to the fact that they're not the top dog anymore. And if you're half the size of the nasty, having some back-up for deterrence would help. That's another interp.

If the bully knew that Mosby had a gun and kept it going, then tough for the nasty, hence the relative wrist-slap as the law then entered into the equation and there are consequences with severity in theory relative to the situation.

The gray area in all that is that unless there's a perceptible intent on the part of the bully to maim or kill the other guy, then running it up to the next level is always going to be viewed as a bit dodgy. If the intent was there, then it's legit to defend with disproportionate force. But if you want to send a message to any and all that just because you're a little guy, the stompee will reciprocate and some moron is going to stomp you, then stepping it up IS more of a legit response. That's another interp.

Turning to the various internet responses, it appears that the code duello was involved, that Mosby never won a fight due to his small size, but he never backed down either and he packed the pistol to dissuade Turpin. Turnpin was described as a notorious bully who assaulted smaller students, one with a knife and another with a rock whom he nearly killed. Turpin appears to have met Mosby, and upon Mosby asking about the precipitating event, charged whereupon Mosby fired. There were two possible charges, a hung jury and in the end Mosby was convicted of the lesser of the two and given the max sentence.

To me, this falls into a very gray area wherein upper-class manners met lower-middle class manners. I fail to see the good in taking a beating and knowing it was likely to continue. Certainly in the code duello days, honor was of some import and it was ungentlemanly to treat another as Mosby was treated. And with a guy who had already demonstrated a propensity towards violence not only towards smaller students, but also with weaponry. The old admonition of don't bring a knife to a gunfight might be appropriate. Was Turpin armed in his encounter with Mosby?

With any of the above, I doubt that Turpin bullied many more folks;)

Lyle Browning