From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2012 11:04:49 -0400
Kevin,

You had suggested a couple of years ago that BREAKING THE LAND	was a good place to start with my nascent interest in the mechanization of agriculture and the results that brought. I immediately got a copy and have spent two trans-atlantic trips post-it notating passages and from there gone on to acquire a relatively decent database of baseline data on economic factor so that when I put together a contextual statement on the effects of the post-Civil War (1865-1965) era on the agricultural worker, at least I can relate with some assurance that when I read that Joe Blogs made $237 dollars for the entire year, that I can place him economically in the correct "slot".

Having grown up in the agrarian and mechanized South, I had erroneously thought that there was a longer timespan for the mechanization, but it is clear now that I lived through the tail end of that process.

The problem I now face is how to get to the transition to mechanized ag in the South. Looking at the industrial census tabulations, I can get the number of manufacturing plants by state and their aggregate values. But what I can't yet find is where those products went. It appears that no-one has pulled those pieces of info out of the manufacturer's archives. The personal property tax lists require only aggregate value of farm equipment and have been that way for at least 40 years so unless I can find out how many John Deere or Farmall tractors got shipped to VA for sale (and I don't know if they did direct sales or consignment or what arrangements were made with the dealers) then I'm dead in the water. Likewise with farm implements such as disks, plows, cultivators, pickers of all stripes and combines when they became available. What I am seeing is that the mid and upper Mid-West states lead in the invention and production of farm equipment of all types. If I had those figures, then a little GIS work and the spread of equipment would be graphically evident.

Lyle