Date:
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 14:05:47 EDT
In a message dated 7/18/2003 12:27:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> <<Did I miss seeing educator Booker T. Washington in all the lists?  >>

He was on Ann's original list.

 20th Century military leaders include Marine Commandant Gen.

> <<Commodore Uriah Phillips Levy,  USN, was the saviour of Monticello.>>
>
> I didn't add Commodore Levy because I was focusing mostly on the
> Virginia-born (although I fudged on George S Patton and E.A. Poe!) However, based on the
> popular mantra of "to be a Virginian by birth, marriage or adoption..." he
> does indeed deserve credit.  There's a wonderful book recently published on
> the Levy family and Monticello that is REALLY worth getting.

OK, more to add to the list. William Cabell Rives -- US Senator and prominent
Virginia statesman before the Civil War, Gov. John Letcher, governor during
the War, Mayor Mayo of Richmond, Joseph V. Bryan, publisher of the Richmond
Times Dispatch and founder of the publishing business which became Media General
(and a former Mosby Ranger too!)

Going back to earlier times -- I forgot Dr. Thomas Walker of Albemarle
County, who discovered the Cumberland Gap.

As a Civil War buff, I omitted to mention some of the more famous women who
played a role in that conflict:  Capt. Sally Tompkins, who organized Robertson
Hospital in Richmond and was the first woman in north America to receive an
army officers commission. Add Mrs. Robert E Lee, heiress of Arlington, who was
quite a personage in her own right -- and her father, historian and step
grandson of George Washington George Washington Parke Custis.  Might as well add
Martha Washington too. (remembering the ladies).  Also from the CW era, noted
Confederate intelligence operatives Belle Boyd and Laura Ratcliffe rate a
mention.

And if we're doing "adopted Virginians", I'd actually add my own mom, Jo-Anne
Coe, first woman to serve as Secretary of the United States Senate. Born in
California, raised in Northern Virginia and Virginia Beach, attended William
and Mary, served on Senator Bob Dole's staff for over 30 years, including as
Chief of Staff. Mom passed away suddenly last September from an aneurysm.
Tomorrow would have been her 70th birthday.

-- Kathryn Coombs