From:
Don Zochert <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Sep 2007 12:26:20 -0500
Dr. Hardin wrote:

	If you pay attention to the writings of Landon Carter
	and George Washington, you'll see what the real
	distinction was:  "planters" planted tobacco and corn;
	"farmers" cultivated wheat....I've always wondered
	if anyone has looked into a possible correlation
	between crop choice and revolutionary leanings.

Warren R. Hofstra makes the same distinction between planters and
farmers, plantation and farm, in his study of the dynamics leading to
the separation of Clarke County from Frederick County, _A Separate
Place: The Formation of Clarke County, Virginia_ (White Post, Va.:
Clarke County Sesquicentennial Committee, 1986). Chp. 2, "The Plantation
and the Farm," might be of interest to followers of this thread.
Wheat-growing in the Shenandoah Valley seems to be a recurring interest
of Dr. Hofstra in this and other works. In _A Separate Place_, he also
touches on the relationship between what he calls "degrees of landowning
and political participation"--the second part of my clip from Dr. Hardin.

Don Zochert
Winfield, IL