From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Feb 2008 17:13:58 -0500
J South,

Slavery indeed does date back to biblical times, and perhaps one cannot
pinpoint when or how it came to be. But, I am sincerely curious how it came
to be that Africans were the slaves of choice and how it came to be that
slaves were consigned to life-long slavery instead of freed following good
service. Was it not your white ancestors (and their friends, neighbors and
elected leaders) who adopted laws decreeing that while white servants would
serve a period of indenture, that black servants were slave not only for
life, but that any issue they produced were automatically born into slavery?
When Africans first arrived in Virginia, they were servants for a specified
amount of time. Was it either the Native Americans, or the Africans who
passed laws depriving Africans, and only Africans of the right to earn their
freedom? I think you are trying to absolve those who were indeed guilty of
making a molehill into a mountain which led to the misuse and abuse of those
who originated from Africa.

Anne

Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/apembert