From:
"Harold S. Forsythe" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 14:10:30 -0400
  This is actually a very complicated subject.  Slavery only becomes the
major labor force in the Chesapeake in the 1680s, while
emancipation comes in a rush in the US in the 1860s.  Thus, it
seems that Thomas Jefferson was neither in on the start of
bondage in his part of the world, nor really involved in its demise,
which is more the task of the generations of Abraham Lincoln and
US Grant.
  The poster is absolutely right, that slavery, serfdom, and peonage
were widespread:  the probable status of half the population of the
world in 1800.  But that, of course, is one reason why the period
1800-1930 was so violent, even if you bracket the Napoleonic Wars
and WW I.  The struggle to break the bonds of chiefly rural
servitude erupted not just in the US, but in Mexico twice (1857 &
1910), in India, in San Domingue (a bit earlier), in Indonesia (1925),
within Russia and Russian Poland, etc.

Harold S. Forsythe
History & Black Studies
Fairfield University