From:
Jim Glanville <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Oct 2010 16:01:20 -0400
Subject: Re: [VA-HIST] Slavery in the Valley
Date: Friday 15 October 2010. 4:05 pm.
To: [log in to unmask]
From: Jim Glanville <[log in to unmask]>

Ms. Vines Little, Mr. Scott Smith:

In the spirit of Mr. Crews original posting here that "…at this juncture
I'll take most anything," I'll note that James Patton's will mentioned
his five slaves. Patton was killed at Draper's Meadows in the summer of
1755 at the time he was the "big man" of Augusta County. So that's at
least one legitimate primary source. The will is in the Lyman Draper
Virginia papers, Chalkley's "Chronicles," and probably other places.

I am on the road right now and do not have access to my library.
However, three secondary sources that come to mind are:
McCleskey, Turk. "The Price of Conformity: Class, Ethnicity, and Local
Authority on the Colonial Virginia Frontier." Pp. 213-226 in Michael J.
Puglisi, ed. "Diversity and Accommodation: Essays on the Cultural
Composition of the Virginia Frontier." Knoxville: The University of
Tennessee Press: 1997.

McCleskey, Nathaniel Turk. "Across the first divide: Frontiers of
settlement and culture in Augusta County, Virginia, 1738-1770. " Ph.D.
Thesis. College of William and Mary, 1990,

Kegley, Mary B. Free People of Colour: Free Negroes, Indians,
Portuguese, and Freed Slaves. Wytheville: Kegley Books, 2003.

Jim Glanville