From:
Excalibur131 <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2007 11:35:34 -0500
Nancy, I'm not familiar with the article, but your post got me to
thinking... about southern food. I don't think I have a strict
interpretation of "southern," but it somehow fits my needs.

We've mentioned Virginia and Smithfield Ham, biscuits and real butter, and
buttermilk. I'm pretty sure I saw a couple of folks mention peanuts and
peanut soup in their post. But what about...

Fried chicken? The best fried chicken on the planet, no contest, hands down,
is southern fried chicken.

Gravy? To go with that fried chicken we need the world's best gravy. Yep,
chicken gravy just ain't right if it ain't made in the southern way. Its got
to have those little bits and pieces of fried chicken stuff in it. And talk
about GREAT eatin', oh my, how about some of those buttermilk biscuits
lathered with real butter and dipped in that good ol' southern chicken
gravy!

I hate to say it, but you might as well toss the potato salad out if it
isn't made with a southern touch (and, yes, there are bunches of ways to
make good southern potato salad). Once you take the southern out of the
potato salad you end up with "pickle juice mush," "mustard lumps," or some
other concoction that doesn't even resemble potato salad.

Peaches? Yep, give me my peaches from the south. A reminder though, not all
southern peaches have to come from Georgia. There are some other really
great southern peaches out there.

Fried okra? I don't know if you can get that anywhere except the south.

Hog jowl? Yesssssssssssssss! I love fried hog jowl; plus it's great for
seasoning. Something tells me I'm not going to find fried hog jowl in Boston
or Walla Walla.

Dressing or stuffing for Thanksgiving? The very best ones are southern
hand-me-down recipes. Not to mention the giblet gravy -- notice how I got
back to gravy.

Clam chowder? Give me the clean, salty Chesapeake Bay clam chowder with
cherrystone clams everytime.

I could go on and on with this list, but I'm going out of my mind drooling
over what I've already said.

Tom
Eastern Shore & More Forum
http://www.easternshoremore.com/forum/