From:
Henry Wiencek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 22 May 2013 12:27:10 -0400
Thanks, Brent, for posting this. Just last week I spent three days at Harvard's Houghton Library. On arrival, to my great surprise, I learned that the library has a 50-image limit on digital photos, which threw all my plans into a cocked hat. Their website, which I had read carefully before traveling up there, says some limitations on copying may apply; but on arrival I was shown a separate web page, not linked to the main Houghton page, which sets out the strict 50-image limit. Over that, you must pay $1 per image and order the copies through the library copying service, which is an onerous and very time-consuming process. That being said, the library staff was extremely helpful and I got a lot of terrific material. Library policies vary. At Dartmouth I shot hundreds of images in one day. I don't think UVA imposes a limit.

The text analysis software mentioned in the NYT article is useless on handwritten documents, which is what many of us deal with. It is a myth that in olden days people had great handwriting.

Henry Wiencek