From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 11:47:45 EDT
Bernie wrote:

> Col Robert Bolling was from "Kippax" or
> "Flaming Dale" and his son who was Col John Bolling was from  "Cobbs"
> Plantation on the Appomattox near Petersburg, VA.

Bernie and all,

I just have a footnote here of interest to Bolling descendants, as well as
those with ancestry traced to Burtons (all you Stovalls), Baughs and Cobbs.

To recap, Cobbs was the plantation of Robert Bolling and Jane Rolfe's son,
John Bolling and Mary Kennon, daughter of Richard Kennon and Mary Worsham.  I
understand it was at Cobbs that they raised all the little "Red" Bollings to
whom Pocahontas descendants trace their ancestry.

Cobbs is on the opposite, north side of the Appomattox from Petersburg and
downstream a handful of miles in what is now Chesterfield Co.  It is located
a little east of  the point where the Appomattox, which had been travelling
primarily north for a ways, turns east and the Ashton/PeircesToyl Creek (many
names) becomes part of the Ashen Swamp and they empty into the Appomattox
River

Today, a part of "Cobbs" in its post-1753 boundaries, is now Point of Rocks
Park, which has the requisite ball fields, a number of foot trails, points of
interest, boardwalks through marchlands, lookouts, and an area where the
local teens seem to gravitate to carve their names and initials on the trees
(I've been there and got hopelessly lost in the woods one rainy, windy
morning without a map, which weren't in stock).

Point of Rocks literature and a historic marker (which I did not find, but it
was probably hidden behind some soccer parents' SUV) mention the Cobbs and
Bollings I am told, but the history of the land, and particularly that
portion that is the Park is a little more complicated.

Cobbs, as the Bollings owned it after 1753, my research suggests is primarily
two separate pieces of land.

(a).  The original Ambrose Cobbs patent 1639, which shows Abraham WOOD on his
east and John BAUGH on his west. This land was sold to Thomas BURTON in 1656.
 It was sold by the BURTONS in 1704 to John BOLLING.

(b). The original Abraham PEIRCY patent, taken over by John BAUGH in 1638
patent.  This land was later in the hands of the descendants of William
BAUGH, who died ca 1687 in Henrico Co. The fact that it is in the hands of
William Baugh's descendants when they sell to the Bollings in 1753, tells me
that William Baugh, believed to be progenitor of all the Henrico Baughs, was
probably the son of John Baugh, but with the loss of HEnrico records we'll
never know.  There are some records suggesting carveouts of fishing holes for
Baughs and ferry permits that suggest that the Baughs might have held on to
some small pieces of this land even after 1753, but the Baughs also held
large holdings further up the Swamp and the Creek.

I believe that it is this second section of land that encompasses most of the
Park, with some of the easternmost fields part of the pre-1753 Cobbs.

For all  Pocohontas, Baugh, Burton descendants, the archaeological survey
done by Lyle Browning and others for the Point of Rocks Park did not go over
inch-by-inch the Park lands that weren't slated for development into fields,
but does say there are several sites, if excavated, that could yield much
more information on Indians and early colonial times and artificats than
those sites that they did have to study for development.

There are pictures, map, Cobbs information at these websites:

<A HREF="http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~cobb/ambrose.htm">http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~cobb/ambrose.htm</A>;
see map: <A HREF="http://echesterfield.com/soccer/fields/por.jpg">http://echesterfield.com/soccer/fields/por.jpg</A>,
and some pictures are here: <A HREF="http://www.cvfo.org/locations_parks_and_open_areas.htm)">
http://www.cvfo.org/locations_parks_and_open_areas.htm)</A>.

I have more specific documentation on the land transfers, etc. if anyone is
interested.

My best regards,
Janet (Baugh) Hunter