From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 May 2007 10:30:22 -0400
When we dug the canal boats in the James Center in the 1980's we had
two packet boats. One was a stripped hull and the other was nearly
complete. The stripped one we found first. It had a toilet pipe in
the front that had been cut off and smashed. From contemporary
descriptions, we knew that the boats had toilets for the ladies that
flushed directly into the canal. Other details were not available,
including whether there was a men's toilet in the stern. When we dug
the second one, the compartment in which the toilet was contained was
extant. It was 18" wide. We too wondered how ladies with hoop skirts
managed (we did know about the split pantaloons). So when an
opportunity in the form of a reinactor presented herself, I somewhat
indelicately asked and was told that one gathered them on one edge
only and then backed into the space required.

 From information from my parents and grandparents, corncobs were
indeed used. There were sometimes two piles, one larger pile of red
ones and a pile of white ones. The story went that a red was used
first, then a white to see if another red was needed (sorry for the
"direct" picture). As they were outside, they were softened by rain
and were not that uncomfortable. When toilet paper came into use, it
was rationed as it was so expensive, at least by my ancestors.

Westover Plantation has a wonderful 5 holer with no dividers between.
Apparently, social customs were way more "open" then than now.

Finally, and to turn everyone totally green, there was a famous
medical treatise written in the 18th century by an Irish doctor who
went behind hedges which served as sorts of linear curtains/screens
for those who had the urge. The good doctor examined the evidence and
wrote his treatise on the health of the individuals who had left said
evidence.

Lyle Browning, RPA