From:
Katharine Harbury <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2007 09:12:34 -0400
I conducted research about Fort Christanna for my colleague at the time,
and participated in two of the three archaeological excavations there,
which were directed by Chris Stevenson of the Department of Historic
Resources in Richmond. My research revealed that the school was known to
be the finest and largest school ever built, and contained as many as
300 Indian children at one time. Rev. Charles Griffin was indeed a much
beloved teacher there. The fort was a combination of a fur-trading post
and school, and the Saponi helped protect the fort along with the
English. Chris has made a report about Fort Christanna, which you might
find of interest.

Another Indian school  besides the one in William and Mary is Dartmouth
College, Hanover, N.H.  It started out also as an educational
institution for Indians and still accepts Indian students.  The weather
vane of the college, if  I recall correctly, was that of an instructor
and an Indian. (And neither of these schools exhibited what you
mentioned about Carlisle.)