From:
Anita Wills <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 2007 10:36:40 -0800
When I was growing up in rural Pennsylvania, the farmers would send meat,
fruit and vegetables. We went to the Farmers Market during the summer (which
was run by the Amish), and they had the best foods, and bake goods there. In
the fall my uncle would bring us baskets of pears, apples, peaches,
tomatoes, and other fruits and vegetables. My mother would can the goods for
the winter, and eventually she taught me how to can.  Most of the canned
fruits did not make it past the first couple of months (I can still taste
them).  Early in the morning my father would get up and go to a farm to get
milk fresh from the cow. Sometimes he would come home with eggs, which were
freshly laid.

Most of the people that were from the South kept gardens growing, and they
also hunted and fished. The concept of going to a market to buy food was
foreign to them (this was in the 1950's). My mother told me that they grew
everything on the farm she was raised on. They churned butter from the cows
milk, and even used hops to make beer.

I really miss that part of growing up.

Anita