From:
Debra Jackson/Harold Forsythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Feb 2007 19:16:34 -0500
Well, of course, the authority would come from the Episcopal Church of
America.

But the real issue is the nature of religion, as explained to me by a
sociologist of religion I once worked with (he was also a Lutheran pastor.)
He argued that religions like monopolies.  None, by their nature, are fully
comfortable with equality of religions.
This produces an conflict between those who read the "freedom of religion"
in the First Amendment, but ignore the establishment clause, and those who
wish religion to be completely free but separated from government and tax
money.

If the College of William & Mary is a tax supported, public university, then
the question of religious identity, religious symbols, etc. is a relevant
subject of discussion.

Go to another school, in another context in the South, was the essential
argument in support of segregation in education.  This assertion always
assumes that what exists is legitimate and those who want change are wrong.
It is a loaded assertion and I would have thought that we were long past it
by now.

Harold S. Forsythe