From:
Debra Jackson/Harold Forsythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 2005 10:13:22 -0500
Kevin,

    Of course, you are right.  TJ's tepid and contradictory racism (note
Sally and TJ) vitiated his promise of equal rights for blacks.
And I for one am willing to leave it there.  Jefferson was a gifted thinker,
a skilled political leader, and not surprisingly a complicated and
self-contradicting human being.  He was neither demi-god nor demon;  just an
intellectually extraordinary but perhaps emotionally and physically ordinary
18th century patrician.

Harold S. Forsythe