From:
Bill Welsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Sep 2014 19:46:23 -0400
AMERICAN REVOLUTION ROUND TABLE of RICHMOND

Hi Folks,

Here is the regular meeting reminder for Wednesday, September 17.

Join us as we follow Lafayette playing cat and mouse with Cornwallis in the critical months before Yorktown.  Our friend Dr. John Maass will be back for another visit to present “The Road to Yorktown: Jefferson, Lafayette, and the British Invasion of Virginia” at the next meeting of the American Revolution Round Table of Richmond on Wednesday, September 17.  John has made two previous very well received presentations, so you can count on more of the same.  Maps and details are here http://arrt-richmond.blogspot.com/. Dinner at 5:30, followed by the meeting at 6:30.  Non members are most welcome to attend.

1. And more information about the October 25 Allen McLane Seminar in Delaware from our friend Tom Welch.  You’ll notice some familiar speakers from past ARRT-Richmond presentations.  It should be most interesting.  From Tom -

We are working on an interactive registration site. In the meantime interested persons should contact me via email [log in to unmask] or phone 302-632-1803.  I will keep them on a list and will directly send the registration form.

The event is the Allen McLane Public Symposium
The date is Saturday, October 25, 2014.
Registration 8:30am; Program 9am - 4 pm
Location:  Wesley College, 120 North State Street, Dover DE 19904     H. B. du Pont College Center, Peninsula Room, 206
Speakers include:  Author John Nagy; Military historian Glenn Williams; Archelogist, professor Charles Fithian; Long-time McLane researcher Michael Lloyd; and Historian Robert Selig.
Attendees will receive the hot off the press book "Allen McLane: Patriot, Soldier, Spy, Port Collector" plus a packet of six postcards about McLane that were prepared and distributed by the Delaware American Revolution Bicentennial Commission in 1976.
The event has as primary sponsors the Caesar Rodney Chapter of the SAR, the Delaware Historical Society, Wesley College and the Northern Delaware Revolution Roundtable.  Another ten organizations have agreed to serve as co-sponsors.  The event is free and open to the public,

Tom Welch, Coordinator, McLane Symposium

2. That October weekend has much of historic interest.  Here’s information on the 12th Annual Swamp Fox Symposium from members Carole and George Summers.

Greetings to History Buffs & Francis Marion Admirers:

Near the anniversary of August 24, 1780 Nelson's Ferry (Great Savannah), Santee River, Marion attacked British Soldiers conveying prisoners to Charleston, you have one more month to send in your registration for the early discount for

12th Francis Marion/Swamp Fox Symposium

   Oct 24-25, 2014, Manning, SC

Explore the Revolutionary War Southern Campaign with General Francis Marion

      Immerse yourself in Francis Marion's world.

Know you want to participate in the 8 presentations & 2 dinner theaters.

Tentative agenda:

Chris Swager - Marion – Stranger than fiction

David Neilan - The Life of Francis Marion: Weems-Horry, Where Fiction Trumped History

Friday dinner theater: Peggy Pickett as Eliza Lucas Pinckney

David Reuwer - Christopher Gadsden

Ben Rubin - "The Swamp Fox: An American Literary Archetype."

JD Lewis - "The Evolution of Marion's Brigade After the Fall of Charlestown - 1780 to 1782."

Scott Aiken - General Marion's Faithful Few & more Marion research

Fin Smith - Isaac Hayne

Charles Baxley - Around the Campfire discussion

Saturday dinner theater:

Dr. Joe Stukes as Genl. Wm. Moultrie Reflecting on Francis Marion

Site: FE DuBose Campus, Central Carolina Technical College, I-95, Exit 122, Manning, SC

   Find your registration form for October 24-25, 2014  at  http://francismarionsymposium.com/

Francis Marion Advocates

Swamp Fox Murals Trail Society

PO Box 667, Manning SC 29102

803-478-2645, cells: 803-460-9626, 803-460-7416

Download the new Clarendon County Tour APP

Make plans for Oct 24-25, 2014 www.francismarionsymposium.com

Find on Facebook and

Our websites for Rev. history: www.clarendonmurals.com

3. And one more from member Brett Morgan, about “Reading Maps in the Age of the American Revolution” at the Library of Virginia http://www.lva.virginia.gov/involved/f-jms.htm on that same day.

4. Ed Lengel, Rich Bellamy, both past speakers, and I are leading this Philadelphia and Monmouth Campaign Tour for America’s History  http://americashistoryllc.com/2013/12/the-philadelphia-campaign-and-washingtons-victory-brandywine-germantown-monmouth-and-more-october-15-18-2014/.  Please join us for an interesting tour to patronize our sponsor.

5. Here are more events from our SCAR pal Charles Baxley, who maintains what is still the best calendar of Revolutionary War events.  Thanks, Charles.

Please considering joining your fellows in SCAR this fall at these events:

October 4 - Southern Revolutionary War Institute Symposium, York, SC – this year’s topics focused on “The King’s Own Patriots: Loyalists and Provincials in the Southern Campaigns of the Revolution.” Presentations will feature noted scholars Todd Braisted, Jim Piecuch, Bob Bemis, Ben Rubin, Greg Brooking, Carole Troxler, and Mike Scoggins, and a tour of the Institutes new facilities.  The symposium will last from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm and will be held in the Lowry Family Theater in the McCelvey Center, 212 East Jefferson Street, York, SC.  Lunch is included for a $50 registration fee.

November 8 - Washington, Ga. - Southern Campaigns RW Roundtable from 10:00 am to 4:00 pm at the Washington Women’s Club – short presentations and discussions by all interested on relevant RW topics.  Free, public invited to both SCAR events

November 9 – Washington, Ga. - SCAR Corps of Discovery - tour the Kettle Creek battlefield and Robert Carr’s Fort with principal site archeologist Dan Elliott, military historian Steve Rauch, and historians Robert Scott “Bob” Davis and Walter Andrea http://www.southerncampaign.org/roundtables  Depart in a car pool at 9:00 am from the Washington Courthouse Square.

As always, please see SCAR’s on-line Calendar of Upcoming Events for up to date information at http://www.southerncampaign.org/calendar-of-events.

6. November 16 will be a fun day for us as we join John Maass following Lafayette in this Virginia campaign.  More details will follow at the meeting.  The cost is $25 for this all day trip, not including lunch.  This trip is now open to all, so if you have a friend who wishes to join us, great.  You can either give me a check at the meeting or send it to me at:

10708 Rocket Drive
Glen Allen, VA 23060

Checks should be made to ARRT-Richmond.  This will be first paid, first seated, until the bus is filled.  So please don’t wait.  Thanks to all who have said that they would join us.

7. Last month, I mentioned that a number of our members are working on American Revolution projects.  The first one that I would like to highlight is Karen Chase, a long time member.  Karen is a writer now completing Carrying Independence, which I’ve had the pleasure of reading in its current draft.  Details are below.  Karen’s agent is actively promoting the manuscript.  You’ll enjoy the final story.

The year is 1776. Not all 56 founding fathers could attend the formal signing of the Declaration of Independence on August 2nd in Philadelphia, and the Revolutionary War is already raging. The Continental Congress chooses one man to carry the parchment to the absent signers. But the British are eager to find the Declaration. They want the secret list of all the treasonous men who are leading the rebellion, and consequently they want that one rider most of all, but who is he?

Nathaniel is an Express rider working for Ben Franklin’s Post. Born in America to an English mother and a German gunsmith, and friend to the Shawnee, Nathaniel is neither for nor against the Cause. Desperately hoping to remain neutral, Nathaniel accepts the task to deliver the Declaration rather than become a soldier in the rebellion. He rides knowing great risk will bring him great reward, but does he understand the freedom that is riding on him? Can he stay ahead of the British and a double-crossing spy working with them? Will he be able to remain neutral as he witnesses war across the colonies, and feels its impact first-hand? Nathaniel will have to discover the true intent behind the Declaration if he is to complete Carrying Independence for us all.

See you on September 17 at the meeting.  And please bring a friend.

Bill Welsch