From:
Jessica Bankston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Jun 2010 15:11:23 -0400
Douglas, thank you for the Mutual Assurance Society background - this is phenomenal and
really helps clarify.

As far as "the Clifton house," which I am researching, many older publications cite the date
of construction as 1809 but I cannot find any primary sources to confirm this.  The earliest
Mutual Assurance Society policy (not Sandborn map as I mistakenly wrote to someone else)
is 1818.  There is evidence I have uncovered as well as articles from the turn of the 20th
century from Richmonders at the time that the house could've been constructed and at least
designed in the late 1790s.

One of these early 1900s accounts notes the 1805 Madison map.  I will see if the 1807
Madison map Ms. Batson mentions is perhaps the one in question, or if the alternate "MSS?"
series Mr. Burnett mentions helps.

Thank you everyone for helping.