From:
Anita Henderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jan 2013 13:14:49 -0500
One solution to all this is to contact Manfred Rommel his son who I still think is alive.  Another resource would be a respected biographer of Rommel.  He may have some memory or documentation of this visit.  Based on the sources, it does seem probably that Rommel visited the US in the pre World War II era.   Talking about connections, George S. Patton knew John Singleton Mosby when he was a little boy in California.  In the 1890s, Mosby was a lawyer for I believe the Union Pacific RR where Patton's father worked and they frequently took trail rides together in which Mosby imparted tales of his CW exploits to the impressionable  boy.  Mosby as a child had as his hero Francis Marion the Swamp Fox of Rev war fame and had modeled his raids on what Marion had done.  Patton in turned modeled his horse cavalry exploits during the Punitive Expedition and later his armored cavalry actions on Mosby's actions.  He also had read Rommel's books.  It is interesting how military tactics that originated in the 18th century were used or expanded on by two brilliant cavalry commanders of the 19th and 20th century.  I love connections!!

Anita L. Henderson
Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society www.agsas.org-cook
13th VA Cavalry, Co. H., Light Sussex Dragoons-bugler
interpreting and researching Maria Lewis, black female trooper of the 8th NY Cavalry