From:
Kevin Hardwick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 10:43:23 -0500
Leaving aside the sweeping generalization about academics, the issue here
is dificult because it is clouded by perceptions.  I am sure that there
were a good many men and women who owned slaves who treated their chattel
decently by their own moral standards.  Surely too that there were slaves
who acknowledged the relative decency of their masters. (For some examples,
see the WPA narratives reprinted in WEEVILS IN THE WHEAT.  In the
recollections of a good many elderly men and women who had grown up as
slaves, the monstrous slave owner who abused his slaves lived on the next
plantation over, while one's own master or mistress was often recalled as
decent.  There is an interesting psychological phonemenon there which, to
my knowledge, has not been accounted for--thoughts, anyone?)  But there are
plenty of instances of masters who, no doubt quite reasonably by their own
standards, felt they had treated their slaves well, and who were surprised
when their slaves failed to see it that way.  Warren Hofstra and Deborah
Lee have written a very nice essay in the Journal of Social History which
gives one example of that.  It depends entirely on what you mean by
"decent."  What looks like moral decency from one perspective can easily
look like oppression from another.

And then there are our own contemporary perceptions.  By our standards
today, given the nature of the relationship, its hard to imagine anyone
really saying that slavery could be "decent," even when it involved decent
people of good will on both sides.  After all, slavery violates what I take
to be one of the fundamental values of American society--liberty.  To be a
slave is to be denied liberty and self-detemination.  Regardless of the
quality of the persons involved, this is a relationship that is
intrinsically corrosive of decency, at least when judged by basic
contemporary American standards.  Thomas Jefferson wrote perceptively on
this issue in his NOTES ON THE STATE OF VIRGINIA, which has been referenced
recently in a related conversation.

I don't think it is PC to say that ultimately, no master-slave relationship
can be a decent one, because slavery is intrinsically contradictory to the
ethical tenets on which we today order our society and our values.

Best,
Kevin R. Hardwick

--On Wednesday, January 15, 2003 10:08 AM -0500 "COUNTRY.GARDENS"

--
Kevin R. Hardwick, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor