From:
Hank Trent <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Hank Trent <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Feb 2015 15:30:27 -0500
I'm looking for a photo of Bacon Tait (1796-1871), a Richmond slave trader
and jail owner. As wealthy as he was, it's hard to believe no photo exists,
but I've tried everyplace I can think: the Library of Virginia, the Virginia
Historial Society, the Valentine Museum, online. Any ideas?

Even unidentified photos might be helpful if they show a whole family,
because I know the age of his children and there was a set of twins, and I
have a photo of his first cousin and descriptions of the appearance of two
of the children, so they might be identifiable if they were all in an
unidentified picture.

An alternative possibility would be an image of his slave jail at the
southeast corner of 15th and Cary streets (where Buffalo Wildwings is now),
but again, I've combed through images of Richmond without success. I think
it survived the evacuation fire, so post-fire pictures would show it, but no
luck.

I've just finished a biography of him and I know the publisher will ask for
a suggestion for the cover, and right now I've got no ideas but generic
things. Any ideas on where else to look for a photo of either him or his
jail would be very helpful!

Hank Trent