From:
Heritage Society <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2007 12:11:16 -0400
"He inherited great wealth from his father-in-law, John
Wayles, and a manageable debt, which he mismanaged"

The Wayles inheritance of land and slaves did advance Jefferson's balance
sheet. But these assets were paper and the problem was the liabilities that
came along with the estate, which were immediate and required cash to the
British creditors. Rather than keep the estate in probate until the debts
were paid, the executors, of which Jefferson was one, decided to convey the
estate in thirds (Martha Jefferson and her two sisters were the
beneficiaries). This had the effect of transferring all of the Wayles'
debts to the executor's personal estates. There was a sale of land and
slaves in what was thought sufficient to pay the debts. The buyers gave
their bonds for the purchase price and these were paid off in virtually
worthless paper currency under the legal tender acts passed by Virginia
during the war. A substantial portion of the assets were gone but the debts
remained and interest continue to run. Far from being "great wealth" that
Jefferson  "mismanaged," the Wayles inheritance began  Jefferson's lifelong
slide into increasing debt.

Richard E. Dixon
Editor, Jefferson Notes
Thomas Jefferson Heritage Society