From:
Debra Jackson/Harold Forsythe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Dec 2005 13:44:00 -0500
Henry has already answered this query in regards to how this discussion
began.  Yet, I think that there is more to say in answer.  I share Mr.
Whitley's concerns for whittling down Jefferson and perhaps building up
Washington (again?)  But there are two points that need to be recognized.
First, character was a great issue amongst the Founders themselves.  Why
else their collectively distain for Aaron Burr, a man of distinguished
ancestry and considerable legal and political skill, and their profound
respect across the board for George Washington.  Didn't Jefferson insist
that America would be lead by aristocracy of talent and virtue, rather than
one of wealth and inheritance?
     Secondly, we have somehow stumbled again into the politics of character
here in the late-20th and early 21st century;  almost to the exclusion of
competence.  In this silver age of American power, we seem to choose leaders
on the basis of their appeals to the common man, their Godliness, and their
'family values.'  It is hard for those elements of the common political
discourse not to engage and perhaps even corrupt how we conceive of history.

Harold S. Forsythe