From:
Randy Cabell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2006 17:24:59 -0400
Well, things have really moved ahead on the mnusic front.....  But I really need help to tie up loose ends.

1 - I have completed the march TRUMPETER OF JAMESTOWNE

2 - It has gotten good reviews, so good in fact, that Dr. David Diggs at Lehigh University wants to use it and the dozen or so other tunes I have identified from Jamestown celebrations 1907 and 1807 to make a CD toward the end of this year.

3 - I think the CD will be a real stake-in-the-ground for music to celebrate Jamestowne.  It feature:

 - The Lehigh U concert band on at least two marches (one Sousa, one mine..... talk about in over one's head :))

 - A Brass band representative of 1907 playing 6 or so identified  favorites from the exposition such at JAMESTOWN RAG, THE RETURN OF CAPT. JOHN SMITH 1607-1907, etc.

 - A real treat..... a re-created 1807 military band of harmonie musick!!!!  You don't see them much anymore, but possibly this was the make up of Nestle's Norfolk Artillery Band which marched in that 1807 procession.    Only clarinets, haughtboys, flutes, natural horns, natural trumpets, and bassoons.  Speaking of things not seen much anymore, Dr. Diggs hopes to feature a serpent horn or two on the bass line, and that will probably be worth the price of the CD itself.  If you have never seen one, send me a not off-group, and I'll send you a photo.

I have tried without success to find additional music or even any report of the celebrations between 1807 and 1907.  So if anybody out there can give me some references, I would appreciate it.  We've got to have all the music ready for the recording sessions in the late summer of this year.

Randy Cabell
The Trumpeter of Boyce

 -