From:
"Lyle E. Browning" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Nov 2002 15:42:03 -0500
The Thanksgiving at Berkeley Plantation was
recognized as the first in the USA by none
other than President John F. Kennedy of Mass.
One might surmise that there had to be
considerable to overwhelming evidence for him
to overturn conventional Pilgrim related
Turkeyday in his state.

Not that it made one whit of difference as
the schoolbooks and popular illustrations
including our own Richmond Times-Dispatch
still put Pilgrim attire as the norm.

Also, I think that more than 10% were killed
at Berkeley in 1622, but I'd need to look it
up to be more certain. Has anyone any better
figures on the overall percentage, but I'd
thought it was at least in the 40% range.

Lyle