From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 May 2008 00:04:10 -0400
Lyle,

I see I can offer you nothing new that you don't already know about. Since
I'm not a researcher of any professional standing, that should not be
surprising. But I offered what little I know on the subject. I haven't read
about the privy pits in London, but have read about the slops tossed out of
upstair rooms to the detriment of those walking below.

In the story I wrote about Pocahontas visiting Jamestown accompanied by the
reader of the story, I make some point of having Pocahontas and guest notice
the smelly condition of the Jamestown gang who tried to drink the brackish
water of the James but didn't bother to bath in it.
http://www.educationalsynthesis.org/books/History/Pocahontas.html

I was talking to a woman who had written and published a book called D'Arcy,
about a young man who came to Jamestown on one of the later shiploads to
replenish those who'd died in the Starving Time, and mentioned to her that
my story included the smelliness of the settlers. She immediately bristled,
and pointed out that Pocahontas was equally smelly to the white invaders
because she kept herself well toned with bear grease. I myself have never
smelled bear grease, so I really cannot say that the scents are equally
offensive. Much probably depends on how fresh the bear grease was - I
suspect that it got smellier the longer it hung around.

I've been reading this evening from Jon Kukla's book on Jefferson's Women,
and wonder if it was Sally's role to emply TJ chamberpot each day, and where
it was dumped. It would certainly not have been likely to dump it out the
window. Maybe that is a good question for the Monticello folks to answer -
how was the offal of the many folks who lived at Monticello put away from
discerning noses.

Anne

Anne Pemberton
http://www.erols.com/apembert