From:
Gregg Kimball <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 15:27:51 -0400
I think my original reply was a bit unclear.  As I said, slave instruction
was "legally limited," not prohibited.  The laws (as explained by Cornelius)
were primarily aimed at third parties (or other free blacks and slaves)
teaching slaves, especially in groups.   (Of course there were also laws
limiting assemblies of slaves.)  As I said below, I think that individual
masters could, and in some cases did, educate their slaves.  We also
shouldn't forget laws that pertained to specific cities and counties, such
as "The Charters and Ordinances of the City of Richmond" (Ellyson's Steam
Press, 1859), which lists ordinances limiting free blacks and slaves in a
multitude of ways.

Gregg