From:
Anne Pemberton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Jul 2004 13:05:01 -0400
Folks,

    I am writing a series of books for young children and for older special
ed students with limited reading skills. The books are created on a web site
which inserts the child's name into the story for display or printing.
http://www.educationalsynthesis.org/books

    The purposes of the history stories, is to introduce people and events
in history to children who are still ego-centric and typically are not
interested in such topics.

    I am planning a book on Thomas Jefferson. I've settled on the spring of
1803 when TJ wrestles with the decision to make the Louisiana Purchase in
spite of his philosophical misgivings about its constitutionality. This is
heady stuff for my audience, so I need to lighten it a bit. One thought I've
had is to have TJ and the reader discuss the matter over breakfast or lunch,
but I need some help in knowing what food they would be eating to make it
historically accurate.

Any suggestions on what TJ ate for breakfast or lunch in the White House,
would be most welcome. So would any other suggestions on how to make the
story more realistic and interesting. Perhaps a carriage ride, stroll
through the muddy streets of DC, etc.

Thanks for any help.

Anne

Anne Pemberton