From:
"Dr. Thomas Knight" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 May 2007 14:40:11 -0500
Hello, Group:

Lyle raises an interesting point, and one I have often intended to
investigate, regarding the 5-holer at Westover.  Does anyone know the
history of this particular toilet?  I have not visited Westover since 1998,
but I do have some photographs of the interior of the building.

It would be interesting to know if this structure dates to the 19th-century
or if it were in place in anything like its present form during the
18th-century, for a careful analysis of it might reveal significant
information about the mores of Virginians during the period of its
construction.  For instance, if it dates to the period when the Byrds
actually controlled Westover, then its history might have implications for
the racialized, gendered, and class boundaries of early Virginia society.

I have often wondered, however, if the structure is of more recent origin,
perhaps an early 20th-century modification of a pre-existing structure.
Have any architectural surveys of Westover addressed this issue?

Best regards,

Thomas Daniel (Dan) Knight
Assistant Professor
Department of History and Philosophy