From:
Bill Welsch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Jan 2017 15:45:38 -0500
AMERICAN REVOLUTION ROUND TABLE of RICHMOND

Our next meeting will take place on Wednesday, January 18, with dinner at 5:30 PM and the meeting at 6:30 PM.  Our friend Ed Lengel will speak on “Money is the Sinews of War’’: George Washington, Money, and the Revolutionary War.  Ed is now the chief historian for The White House Historical Association.  We’re pleased to have him make a return visit.  Details and maps are here. http://arrt-richmond.blogspot.com/p/2013-meeting-schedule.html

The January meeting begins our eleventh year, and that also means that dues are due.  The $20 fee includes the $5 preservation earmark.  Both Woody Childs and Mark Groth would appreciate payments made by check as opposed to cask, if possible.  Also, please complete and submit the up to date enrollment form, here. http://arrt-richmond.blogspot.com/p/directors.html  Current email addresses are critical.  2016 saw our highest membership ever at 80 folks enlisted.  Thanks to you all.

Registration is now open for Bruce and Lynne Venter’s 6th Annual Conference of the American Revolution in Williamsburg on March 24 – 26, 2017.  Details are here.  http://americashistoryllc.com/2016/5th-annual-conference-of-the-american-revolution-2-2/  As I’ve said many times before, this is now the premier conference on the war, with even a few new highlights this year.  It’s sold out for the last two years.  Don’t wait to support our corporate sponsor.  And there’s a Yorktown tour, with the bus already being about half full.

Thanks to our Book Award Committee of Mark Lender, chair, Lynn Sims, and Tyler Whitley, we have a 2016 winner of our newly named Harry M Ward ARRT-Richmond Book Award.  We are pleased to name Claudio Saunt’s fascinating study West of the Revolution: An Uncommon History of 1776 as our selection.  Dr. Saunt will receive our certificate and the $200 prize.  Details are here.  http://arrt-richmond.blogspot.com/search/label/Book%20Award  We encourage you to submit nominations to the committee for new books that have impressed you.

I also suggest that you occasionally check our home page for monthly updates and new information.  Kudos to Mark Groth, out web guru.

Douglas Powell reminds us that the 236th Commemoration of the Crossing of the Dan will take place on Saturday, February 18, in South Boston, VA.  More information is at http://prizery.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=234&Itemid=199.  This is both an interesting and a moving day.  The Crossing of the Dan exhibit in the Prizery is top notch.

Bruce Venter forwarded this Parker’s Revenge at Minute Man article.  http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/how-a-team-of-reenactors-helped-solve-a-revolutionary-war-mystery?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=atlas-page  Click on “final report” for a very detailed archaeological analysis.

Washington and Wine?  Not a bad combination, according to Bert Dunkerly, who sent information on this upcoming Hanover Tavern tour.  http://hanovertavern.org/events/washington-wine-bus-tour  Bert will be the tour leader and will, hopefully, remain steady.

The Emerging Revolutionary War Era blog is always a source of interesting articles, including this one about the Boyd – Parker “Torture Tree” site in New York.  It’s also courtesy of Bruce – an old New Yorker.  https://emergingrevolutionarywar.org/2017/01/04/groveland-ambuscade-park-marks-the-scene-of-a-gruesome-episode-of-war/  It’s certainly a reminder of the nasty side of the revolution.  The blog is always seeks new writers and topics.

Our member Peggy Watson and her Osher Program at the University of Richmond always offers a wide array of interesting choices.  Here are two forthcoming on revolutionary Richmond, both taught by Alyson Taylor-White.  http://spcs.richmond.edu/osher/schedule/index.html  Henry, Marshall, the traitor Arnold, and Poe – a full cast of luminaries.

Please share this with your friends – and bring them to the meeting on January 18.  See you then.

Bill