From:
James Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Mar 2007 20:30:01 -0500
While it is difficult not to project our values onto historic
figures, in my mind it is unreasonable to do anything else. People
have to function within the historic context they inhabit, not the
one we wish had been the case. For instance, Cristobal Colon really
did think he was on a mission from God. And the vast majority of his
actions, attitudes, and behavior were entirely consistent with when
he lived. There are a few people who manage to transcend their time
and indoctrination, but even those often fall short of our 21st
century expectations.

George Washington is one who I think did a pretty good job.
Discarding him solely because he was a slave owner borders on petty.
Most men of his his position in the South were slave owners. I do not
accept that there were no good white males in the South prior to
emancipation. It should also be remembered that while the South
provided the market for slaves, it was the North and the British who
provided the ships.

While I disagree with Lee's decision to fight for Virginia,  (given
the disparity in manpower, but especially in economic power it can be
argued he only prolonged the inevitable), other than that it is hard
to find fault with the man. And his actions after the war, go a long
way toward "reforming" him in my mind.

Of course I have to admit that I am a Lee, and therefor suspect in
terms of loyalties. However, my direct ancestor PVT Benjamin Franklin
Lee (18th Iowa Volunteer Infantry Regiment) died 8JAN1863 as a result
of wounds received during the Battle of Springfield, Missouri the day
before. His brothers, John and Furman, were officers in the Union
Army. Furman was captured and spent much of the war in Texas (he
escaped three times). John was with Grant at Vicksburg (reportedly
sharing a drink with the general) and served under Sherman in the
Georgia campaign. Yes there were Lees who were Damn-Yankees. My
grandfather, RAdm Robert C. Lee, is buried in Arlington not far from
the Kennedys. As far as I know the Brothers' side of the family were
all Damn-Yankees.

James Brothers, RPA