From:
Craig Kilby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Oct 2010 14:11:39 -0400
Mari

Avoiding the 5 w's of journalism (who, what, where, when and why) is always a safe ground to take--but it is also very irresponsible. If you look a little deeper (perhaps not in Virginia as much as the more deep south states, and Reconstruction in general, you'll note quite a few changes. This is only natural. In 1870, most census takers were often former slaves, and it dos not take a leap of faith to understand that their world-view of "who" was radially different from had been reported earlier. This is why I think the 1870 census is so fascinating. We all (should) know that any census is not perfect. To ignore the reality of the times and federal apportionment politics is, in my view, a big mistake.

My 2c only, and I'm always open and willing to learn new things. Another good reason to be on this fantastic list. Thank you Mari and everyone else for this thread.

Craig