From:
Bryan Logan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2000 17:36:02 -0500
At 10:44 PM 11/16/00 -0500, kukla wrote:

><snip>
>In either case, "depending" could simply mean something akin to "planned,"
>but regardless of that, can anyone shed light on what John South may have
>had in mind for his Barbeque?

In modern usage, the word would be "pending", thus, "Let me have Good
powder as I have a Barbeque pending..." ( i.e., imminent).

These affairs were social occasions much as are today's "dove hunts", where
friends and relatives gathered for sport and feast.  While a pit-roasted
whole hog would have been the traditional main course, squirrel would have
provided both the sport and at least a portion of the feast.  In fact,
squirrel would have been required for the signature dish of that region,
Kentucky Burgoo, which as one source related "It is customary to begin with
chicken, then add to the kettle something that ran by -- a squirrel,
possum, or rabbit".

Mmmmmm, I'm getting hungry!  Where's my shotgun?

Bryan Logan