From:
Camille Wells <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jul 2004 14:19:21 -0400
Hey Jim.

Fairly straightforward answer to this one, although I could write a tome, as
this is indeed a research topic of mine‹and other architectural historians.
Throughout the South, with some variation in strategies, the kitchen became
integral to‹or as your house plans for Rockbridge County suggest, not
conceptually integral to, but attached to‹houses after the Civil War.  The
very old rap about fear of fire and distaste for cooking odors certainly
were additional reasons for building a detached kitchen, but the principal
consideration was:  who was doing the work?  Slaves.

Documents:  There are lots of references in family letters and
diaries‹mostly of southern women, not surprisingly‹to the difficulty of
managing meal-prep in a separate building after the War, of relenting and
building a new room for cooking onto the family dwelling-house, or as a less
expensive expedient, buying a cook stove and turning the dining room into a
space for cooking as well as eating.

Buildings:  At least in Virginia, the change from detached to attached
kitchens occurred pretty fast.  And at about the same time that
circular-sawn lumber also began replacing pit- and reciprocating-sawn lumber
in the Old Dominion.  While circular saw mills were in wide use in other
parts of the country after 1830, they did not start to outnumber other means
of hand-prepping or mechanically prepping wood for building until after
about 1870.  Census records and the buildings themselves tell us this.  Same
reason:  with bound laborers to keep busy, Virginia slave-owners had little
incentive to spring for efficient new mechanisms.  Once the labor is on
longer so readily available, new strategies start to make sense.

Exceptions:  In southern cities, where lot sizes made efficient use of space
a consideration‹even for the very wealthy‹kitchens sometimes were attached
or integrated into the house, even when slaves were doing the domestic
labor.  One good example:  John Carlisle¹s 1750-55 house in Alexandria,
where the kitchen and other service spaces were in the cellar.

Ah, but I feel a tome coming on, and your question deserves a direct reply
so that others may consider and respond.

Yr. Friend,
Camille.