From:
Paul Finkelman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Apr 2003 17:46:47 -0500
As history shows there was little risk; he did it, as did thousands,
even tens of thousands, of other white masters, with little or no cost.
 What was the risk?  There was no t.v., few reporters, and lots more
privacy than today; Sally could talk to no one, she was a slave.   What
is the "everything" he could lose? His wealth, no. His other slaves, no.
 His fame, no.  His nice house, no.  His popularity in Virginia (where
it was done all the time?) no.

Paul Finkelman

--
Paul Finkelman