From:
James Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 2007 20:21:49 -0500
My recent experience is that African-American is in, Black is out. So
much so that there are those who will accuse you of being a racist if
you use the term "Black".In spite of the title  of the NAACP, Negro
will often get you in trouble. The use of it and other historic
terms, like Colored Troops or Free Blacks must be predicated by
extensive explanation that they are historic terms. One cannot
rewrite historic sources to accommodate changes in modern usage. One
can be sensitive to it, but historic quotes are well historic.

  I also find the fact that it is perfectly acceptable, in some
circles, for African-Americans to call each other using the N, and
other "offensive" terms word interesting. As someone of Irish
ancestry, I know of very few "Irish-Americans" who would call
themselves Micks or bog trotters. And the same is true of other
ethnic perjoratives. Anyone want to play with that third rail?

I find solace in the fact that if you go back far enough, we are all
(at least according to the Out of Africa theory of human evolution)
Africans. So all the furor is really pretty meaningless. We are all
people and we all bleed.

James Brothers, RPA